Dear Holliman parent(s),
I hope you and your family are thoroughly enjoying your time together this summer.
First of all, this Thursday, August 9th, at 6:15 PM, there will be a Holliman PTA membership meeting at the Gorton Administration Building at 69 Draper Avenue in Warwick (in Room 105).
Secondly, if you have recently emailed me and have not received a response, please expect one Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. In such cases, thanks for your patience during this mid-summer stretch.
Regarding school supplies for September, a few years ago the Warwick School Committee decided that Warwick parents should not be required to purchase basic school supplies for their children. Since that time we have made it a practice to have each of our teachers order (via the District) the basic supplies that they need for their students. Knowing that for this coming school year the District has had a dramatic budget shortfall, I recently reached out to Ms. Dambruch, Warwick’s Director of Elementary Education, to see if we would be able to continue the practice of providing basic school supplies for our students. She told me that we will strive to continue this practice, even though it will be more challenging this year.
Therefore, as of this time, there is no need for parents to purchase any basic classroom school supplies, such as rulers, pencils, binders, notebooks, lined paper, student planners/agendas, etc. (by the way our PTA graciously provides planners/agendas for Holliman students who are expected to use them). Should this District school supplies policy change by necessity, your child’s teacher or I will let you know. Some of the things that we are not able to provide include backpacks and pencil/pen cases (which are generally not mandatory, but are very helpful). Thanks to the ongoing generosity of the JC Penney Corporation, we do have a limited number of backpacks (and school supplies contained within them) that we can offer to parents who may be struggling financially. If you feel this applies to you – or your family – please consider reaching out confidentially to the following Holliman School representatives a few days before the start of the upcoming school year:
- Mr. Jonathan Smith – School Social Worker at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Mark D’Aiello – School Psychologist at: mark.d’email@example.com
- Mrs. Alison Cocolli – School Nurse at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Jean Adams – School Secretary at: email@example.com
Please consider joining the Holliman PTA and/or becoming a VOWS (Volunteers of Warwick Schools) volunteer. These are both great organizations that make great things happen at Holliman. There are not enough words to say how important their contribution is to our students and teachers. They have been hard at work, even during the summer months. Please know that they are happy to see their members volunteer at any level, even if a parent is only able to help out once in a great while. Here are their respective email addresses:
Here are a few important dates and/or reminders for you:
- Holliman Back-to-School Event (to include optional school tours for students and parents who are new to Holliman) – Late August 2018 – Date and Time TBD
- August PTA Meeting – Thursday, August 9th, at 6:15 PM; Gorton Administration Building (69 Draper Avenue, Warwick; Room 105)
- First Day of the School Year for Warwick Elementary School Students – Tuesday, September 4, 2018
- Holliman Open House – Monday, September 24, 2018, at 6:00 PM (Note: Rescheduled from the date originally sent out in the June)
- The Warwick School Calendar for the 2018-2019 School Year:
Please continue to encourage your children to complete their summer math and reading assignments. We are counting on students and parents to ensure that our students complete this work. We intend to offer rewards in September for the completion of this work. Most importantly, completing this work helps our students and teachers feel more confident that they are ready to tackle new skills and concepts.
To access summer math and reading assignments…
- … Go to: https://www.warwickschools.org/
- “Parents and Students” tab
- “Summer Math and Reading Assignments” tab
- … Or click directly on the following link:
We will resume office hours on August 20, 2018. Thank you.